Tuesday 13 September 2011

I think I was a bag lady in a former life !!

After last weeks creation with the tea towel, my bag adventures continued.

Over the last couple of weeks I began to think that maybe at some point in my life I had become obsessed with carrying my life around in bags, hence the need to make so many of them. I always seem to carry around at least 2 when out and about on my travels, one of which is full of books and magazines.

So after finishing last weeks blog update I started on making a book bag for my frequent library visits (always on the look out for new craft books) and I ended up making 4 bags in total. So now I know what I will be making everyone for Christmas.

Once I started on making the bags I was on a roll and again this is a really easy project using just 2 rectangles of main fabric for the bag and 2 rectangles for the lining and a couple of strips for the handles. After sewing up the bag  and the lining and then popping the lining inside that bag hemming the top and making and adding the handles it took less than an hour.

Though I have to say in my enthusiasm with the sewing machine there was an incident with a flying snapped needle , luckily I was wearing glasses otherwise I would have been making a decorative eye patch !!

Anyway you can see my creations below. The chintzy fabric now resides with my mum as it's more her style


The Cath Kidston fabric bag is ideal for my shopping



The little bag is made from a Rob Ryan print fabric from the fantastic clothkits company, where all the patterns come ready printed onto the fabric so are fantastic for the beginner and you can find them at

www.clothkits.co.uk



I even managed to use the piece of embroidery a did a few weeks and turn that into a bag to carry around my projects. A piece of natural linen was turned into a square bag with a drawstring and then the embroidery was hand stitched on.



Now look out for my next blog trick a special baby's pram quilt that required a quick finish!!!

No comments: