Tuesday 27 September 2011

Nothing like a baby on the way to make you sew faster!

Earlier this year we had family news of a baby on the way, my cousin was to become a dad in early Oct. Great I thought that's months away and I had plenty time to make a gift. Since we knew that it was to be a baby girl I could even pick the colour of the fabrics.

Well as the saying goes "doesn't time fly when you're enjoying  yourself"  couldn't have been more true.I had just realised it was September  and I didn't have much time left so I needed to spring into action.

My first thought was a cot or pram quilt, it was a compact size, it could be personalised and light enough to post (it was going to Italy). But of course I don't like making life easy for myself so I decided to alternate each patterned square with a square of embroidered fabric. So I hunted the craft cupboard for some fun baby motifs and to make it even more difficult I wanted one of the panels to be in Italian.

Well eventually patterns were found, fabric pressed and a square was embroidered each evening .(I managed to multi task by catching up on the TV, drinking red wine, chatting on the phone and sewing!!!)
It took a just over a week to  complete  the embroidery work and then over the weekend the quilt was sewn by hand, binding cut and pressed, pure cotton wadding purchased and the complete project assembled and then embroidered to bind the layers. It was even  finished off with some of the new labels I have made.

Luckily it was all completed in time as baby arrived this morning !!!!!.

Now I just need to post








1 comment:

Carla Doyle said...

wow that is so gorgeous... :O)