Sunday 4 September 2011

Graduation?, the students are so young these days!!

Well it has been a busy couple of weeks on the travelling front, so I have not been so active as I wish on the craft front but the projects I have worked on have been so different.

As you may know if you read my last blog update, I had a morning of eating fruit cake and thinking up christmas projects, that was temporarily halted by a call from a great friend asking if I had anything in my craft supplies that could be made into a graduation gown and cap. Her daughter was graduating from nursery and the children were graduating the following week and since I was visiting the following this was good timing. Well I do like a challenge and since I work at a University I am not exactly short of inspiration.

Since I don't have any patterns for this short of thing I quickly sketched up a design and then made it up on the spot using some black satin that I had in my box and a used pink for the sash on the back of the gown. 1hr later and we had a gown.

The cap was a different matter, a temporary one out of cardboard would have been easy but this cap had to travel on a plane with me the following weekend so it had to be a lot more durable. So the thinking cap came back on and I used an oil painting board (oil painting is not a craft I am any good at!)  and covered it with some of the black satin and since this was for a little girl we had no ordinary tassle but one made from pink ribbon and crystals.

So off I travelled with the cap and gown last weekend, a quick measurement fitting to make sure it was the correct head size and the whole out fit looked fab.


Watch out for my next project,  what I did with a tea towel !!!

2 comments:

Akonn Martin said...

I really love the way information presented in your post. I really liked your blog. I add this blog into bookmark.
search engine marketing

sewingthethought said...

Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoy reading the blog