Saturday 12 November 2011

To print or not to print !

It seems such a long time since I last updated the blog,  but I have been so busy I now have a host of projects to update you all on so I thought I would do in all in one big page.

Well I cannot believe it but there is only a couple of more weeks to go and my first term at art school will be over. I have absolutely loved doing the textile course and learning all the techniques in printing, fabric and colour and the group on the course have been great and we have really been bouncing ideas off each other.

I have spent this term not only learning all the different process's but also trying  lots of different designs to find a theme I want to work on, I have also have loved designing and making stencils.  Next term we are looking at building our portfolio ready for our exhibition and I have a few ideas I am working with and suprisingly they have a vintage theme. I also have to decide with I want to focus on interiors or fashion, oh the decisions!!


I have found freehand work very calming but with interesting results as you can see from the pic my tulips are not perfect but I kind of liked that but it was really time consuming and you had very little control over the final look.

Tried a couple of techniques with stencils this week, using a pre dyed  fabric and using a discharge technique to strip the colour out  and leave the pattern  we also used a similiar version that replaces it with a colour. This has been the favourite of mine up to now. I enjoyed doing the arabian stencil  which turned out to be really intricate after it was drawn.It was also great to try different types of cotton fabrics to see the varying results.




I even managed to try a few colour combinations to dye the fabrics and it resulting in some interesting combinations.


Lookin foward to exposing images on a screeen this, so look for next weeks results

No comments: